Fruits to be soaked :
- Mixed fruits (raisins+almonds+dates)- 3 cups
- Rum – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Water – 1 tbsp
- Warm water – ¼ cup
- All purpose flour (maida) – 1 and 1/4 cups
- Baking powder – 1¼ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup+ 2 tbsp
- Unsalted Butter – 1 cup + 2 tbsp at room temp
- Eggs – 4 at room temp
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Nutmeg – a small piece(optional)
- Soaking of Fruits
- I used raisins,badam (almonds),cashews(chopped) and dry fruits like dates . You can use dried fruits of your choice. If you are using dates chop it into small pieces & soak it. Almonds should be soaked,skin peeled off and then finely chopped . I soaked all of them for 2 months..shake the jar of soaked items once in a while . Try to soak it for a minimum of 1 week, at least.
- Caramel Preparation:
- Combine ½ cup sugar & 1 tbsp water in a sauce pan. Heat it & let the sugar melt. When the color of the melted sugar becomes dark brown, remove the pan from fire & add ¼ cup warm water to this.Be very careful at this stage since the water tends to splash & will cause burns. Turn the heat on again & boil for a few more mins,2-3 mins. Remove from fire & let it cool . We can also prepare the caramel in advance and store it in refrigerator.
- Spice Powder:
- Grind all the spices with a pinch of sugar, to a fine powder & keep aside.
- Cake Preparation:
- Drain the soaked fruits & keep aside. Retain 4 tbsp from the drained rum. Put the drained fruits in 1-2 tbsp of flour. (This will prevent the fruits from sinking to the bottom of the cake)
- Sieve the flour with baking powder & baking soda. Powder the sugar & keep aside. Separate the yolks & white of the eggs.
- Beat egg whites till ribbon form. Keep aside. Beat the egg yolks & add the softened butter to it. Beat it till it forms a smooth paste. Add powdered sugar to this, in sections. Beat after each section addition. When it becomes smooth add vanilla essence & cooled caramel & spice powdered & beat again. Add the sieved flour in 2 batches. cut and fold after each addition.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites and combine in the above batter .Fold in the soaked fruits & 4 tbsp of retained rum(optional).
- Grease the baking dish with butter & line with baking paper.
- keep the baking pan in microwave and cook on medium for 5 minutes…The baking time can vary depending on the microwave power & also the size of the pan used.
- Keep checking in between and when u feel the cake springs back.,Insert a tooth pick and if it comes out clean the cake is cooked well ..Now allow the pan to be in microwave for around 10-15 minutes.when the time is elapsed take out the pan and allow to cool outside for 20-25 minutes
I used Pyrex glass microwaveable dish
You can store the cake at room temp;slice them in pieces and store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
At my home it will not last for 1 week..they will be over in 2-3 days itself..:)..
Click here for help on checking the conversion from cup to other measurements for various cake ingredients