Aloo(potato) Bonda are fried tea time snack from the South Indian cuisine. Aloo bonda is a south Indian version of Maharashtrian “batata vada”. The difference between the two versions is the spices used in the filling and south Indian version uses rice flour along with gram flour for the batter preparation
For the batter:
- Besan (gram flour)-1 cup
- Rice flour -¼ cup
- water -as required
- Turmeric powder -¼ tsp
- Red chili powder -½ tsp
- Asafoetida (hing)-a pinch
- Baking soda (optional)-a pinch
- salt -as required
For the filling:
- Medium sized potatoes-4 or 5
- Onion – 1(medium size-finely chopped )
- Green chilies- 1 or 2(finely chopped )
- Curry leaves -A handful
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp(chopped fine)
- Ginger-garlic paste -1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing)- apinch
- Mustard seeds -as req for tempering
- Lemon juice -1/2tsp
- Urad dal (split and husked black gram)-1 tsp
- oil and salt as required
- oil for deep or shallow frying
Prepare the filling:
- Boil the potatoes in pressure cooker. Peel and mash them while still warm and keep aside
Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the mustard and urad dal.Wait till the mustard seeds splutters and urad dal get golden.
- Add the chopped onion and saute till they turn translucent .
- Add in the ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves and green chilies. saute for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, Hing and stir. add the coriander leaves also
- Finally add the mashed potatoes to this mixture and mix well.Drain out any moisture left in the potato mixture by cooking a bit more.
- Add lemon juice & salt. mix well.check for the seasoning and adjust the spices as needed.
Make lemon sized balls from this mixture.
Prepare the batter:
- Prepare a thick flowing batter using ingredients mentioned under the ‘For the batter‘ list.
- Dip each potato ball in the batter and coat well with the batter.
- Heat oil in a thick kadai or pan for deep frying.Carefully drop the balls into the hot oil and fry the bondas until they turn light golden color. Remove from oil and drain on a colander or kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or coconut chutney with garlic or green chutney or just tomato ketchup and a cup of hot tea or South Indian filter coffee.
Thanks And Regards