Paniyaram, a small round shaped breakfast snack item made from idli batter, is a shallow fried idli with crisp crust and soft inner. Paniyaram is best way to use leftover idli batter and can be either sweet or savory depending on how its batter is prepared. For sweet paniyaram, jaggery is added and for savory paniyaram, sauteed chilli, onion and curry leaves mixture is added into the batter.
Paniyaram is known as “Kuzhi Paniyaram” in Tamilnadu, “Paddu” in Karnataka and “Gunta Ponganalu” in Andhra Pradesh. Recipe is same for all.
They are made in a special vessel called paniyaram chatti or unniyappa chatti..both metal and nonstick versions are available in indian markets.
There are different versions of masala paniyarams as well as sweet paniyarams.
Now the Recipe
- Idli batter-2 cups
- Onion – 1 medium size(finely chopped or minced)
- Green chilies -2( finely chopped)
- Ginger – ½ inch(finely chopped or grated)
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1 pinch (optional)
- Crushed black pepper – ½ teaspoon(optional)
- Red chili powder -¼ teaspoon
- Chopped curry leaves -a handful
- Grated coconut-½ cup(optional)
- Mix all the ingredients numbered 2-9 in the idli batter.(sometimes people also saute the onion,chilli ,ginger well before adding into batter .each version gives a unique taste)
- Check for salt in the batter.if required add salt.combine well
- Heat the paniyaram chatti or unniyappa chatti .Use any suitable oil and heat well.when the mould gets hot ; pour batter to about 3/4 of each paniyaram mould dent.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on a low or medium flame.
- Once cooked ; turn each paniyaram with the help of a wooden skewer or spoon.
- Turn once or twice until they are uniformly cooked .Once the paniyarams turns golden in color ; remove and store them in a vessel(casserole) that maintains the heat so that they stay warm.
These are very healthy snacks for kids .Serve masala paniyaram with coconut chutney or sambar.
Thanks and Regards