Ada Predhaman is a traditional dessert made by Keralites mostly during festive occasions.Onamsadya is incomplete without this rich ada pradhaman .The ada refers to the pieces of rice batter and the pradhaman, the sweet coconut milk in which they are .The word predhaman means “the first” . So, it’s quite likely that the Ada Pradhaman is named so because it is the King of all payasams. With homemade ada it would taste even more good, so please try to make ada at home and try this predhaman.
- Rice Ada – 200 gm[store bought or Homemade]
- Jaggery – 400gm
- Thin Coconut Milk – 4 cup
- Thick Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Coconut pieces – ¼ cup, cut into small pieces
- Cashew nuts and Raisins– a few
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Soak the Ada in plain water for 15 minutes.
- Now drain the water, and add 5 cups of water and cook the ada till the ada turns really soft. Ensure ada is cooked since once it is added in jaggery syrup it’s cooking will be slowed down.
- Strain the Ada and wash it well in cold water. This prevent Ada pieces from sticking to one another. Drain and set aside.
- Melt Jaggery with ½ cup water, filter for impurities.
- Heat a heavy bottomed Kadai (usually in kerala we use uruli,a heavy bottomed utensil) add ghee and fry the cooked ada well.Add the jaggery syrup and let it boil for 6 minutes, or till the syrup reaches a slightly thicker consistency.
- Ensure you dont skip frying of ada in ghee .It helps ada in absorbing the sweetness of jaggery else ada will taste bland.
- Now add the thin coconut milk and mix well, allow to boil for around 10 minutes, or till the mixture is slightly thick.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add the cardamom powder to the thick coconut milk, mix well and add it to the Ada Pradhaman.
- Heat a small frying pan ,add ghee and fry the coconut pieces till brown. Fry the cashews and Raisins and add the fried items to the Ada Pradhaman.
- The Predhaman will thicken as it cools so the consistency is perfect here. There won’t be any need to add extra milk. If you like it thicker, then you may reduce the thin coconut milk to 3 cups.
- The sweetness is perfect, but if required adjust according to your taste.
- Cooking of Ada depends on its size and thickness..so ensure you cook ada in adequate amount of water
- I used fresh coconut milk.if you have only coconut milk powder you can use them but nothing can beat the taste of fresh coconut milk.
Thanks And Regards