- Idiyappam -prepared from 1/2 cup of rice flour
- Lemon juice-extract juice from one medium size lemon
- Salt -as required
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – a pinch
- Dry Red Chilly- 1
- Green Chilly – 1(chopped fine)
- Asafoetida (kayam in malayalam)- a pinch
- Bengal gram/chana dal/kadala paruppu – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
Roasted Cashew nuts or Roasted peanuts – 2 tbsp(optional)
- Prepare plain idiyappam as mentioned here.or click the image below.Once it cools down , loosen the strings and keep it ready.
- In a small vessel, add lemon juice and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in another pan, fry cashew nuts till golden brown. Remove and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and heat. Once hot add mustard seeds;when it splutters, add asfoteida, red chilly, bengal gram, turmeric powder, curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
- Saute on low heat until bengal gram turns golden brown.Switch off flame.
- Add the lemon juice mix into the tempering. Add in fried cashew nuts or roasted peanuts.
- Now add the plain idiyappam strings to the above and mix well(Mix using hand or chopsticks to avoid breakage of idiyappam strings). Adjust salt and lemon juice as per your taste.Lemon Flavoured Idiyappam is ready to be served .
Kids will love this dish.Serve them at home or pack for lunch.
Thanks And Regards