Kuzhalappam is a typical Syrian Christian dish which is tube shaped fried snacks made with cumins, grated coconut, coconut milk mixed into rice flour. Can be sweet, salty or even occasionally spicy. The salty versions have onion and garlic, while the sweet versions are made with sugar or jaggery.
Here we present the salty version of kuzhalappam..
- Rice flour- 1 and 1/4cup
- Shredded coconut -1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp+ 1/3 tsp
- Shallots 3-4 small
- Garlic clove -1/2 or 1 small
- Black sesame seeds- 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying(preferably coconut oil)
- Roast rice flour on low medium flame until a nice aroma comes.(about 5-6 min)
- Meantime,boil 1 cup water in a pan with salt as required for the flour.Also grind the coconut along with shallots,garlic and 1/4 tsp cumin seeds to a smooth paste using very little water.
- Add the ground mix to the roasted rice flour.Add in the remaining cumin seeds,sesame seeds and heat up to 2-3 minutes.
- Add the boiled water in it ; stir well without lumps and knead while warm into a stiff dough.(similar to the dough for idiyappam(rice string hoppers).
- Now divide the dough in to lemon size balls.
- Roll each ball on chapati board (roll like pooris)and apply oil after rolling .Cut out even rounds with a cookie cutter of 3″.
- Wrap the cut round discs on the index finger of your left hand.Stick the both ends to cover 1/4″ only.Place it on a plate/tray.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 till all balls are done.
- Heat oil in a wok /kadai on medium flame.Slide each of the tubular discs in oil.Using a slotted spoon,turn all sides until they get light brown in color(evenly) .Drain on a paper towel.
- Cool and store in air tight containers or serve with tea !!
* Regular rice flour or idiyappam flour can be used(rice flour must be slightly roasted).
* Always keep the oil on medium flame.
* Garlic usage is optional .
Thanks And Regards