- Toor Dal (Thuvara parippu) or Channa dal (Kadala parippu) :1 cup
- Dry red chillies :4-5 nos
- Shallots/Pearl Onion : 4-5 Or use Onion : 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- Ginger : 2 tbsp (finely, chopped )
- Green Chilly : 4-6 (chopped)
- Curry Leaves : 3 tbsp (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep fry
- Rinse and soak the channa dal for at least 3-4 hours. Drain the water and leave it in a colander for 15-20 minutes until the water drains completely.
- Coarsely grind 3/4th of the soaked dal with dry red chillies in a mixer grinder for just 3-5 pulses without adding any water. (Note: just make a coarse paste.)
- Keep the remaining 1/4th dal aside. Next crush or coarsely grind shallots and ginger and keep it aside.
- Take a bowl mix crushed shallots ,ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida powder along with the ground dal mixture.Add in the remaining 1/4th dal also.Add Salt as per taste.Mix well. Keep it aside for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat enough oil in a wide bottom pan on medium-low flame.
- Wet your palms and make a lemon sized balls from the dal mixture .
- Flatten all balls slightly with your palm.
- Deep fry the patties in hot oil .Flip after 5 minutes and cook until the vada is a dark golden brown and crisp on the outside .
- Transfer them to tissue paper to drain out the oil (Note: It might take about 3-4 minutes for the vadas to get cooked ) Serve hot with tea and Enjoy!
Thanks And Regards