Vada is a traditional South Indian food known from ancient times.Vada are typically and traditionally served along with a main course such as Dosa, Idli, or Pongal.The standard accompaniment to vada is a helping of coconut chutney and a watery Sambar.
Medhu vada or also known as Ulundhu vadai (Tamil: தமிழ்), Uddina vade (Kannada: ಉದ್ದಿನ ವಡೆ), Uzhunnu vada (Malayalam: ഉഴുന്നു വട), is made with Urad dal (black gram) flour. This vada is shaped like a doughnut with a hole in the middle . It is the most common vada type throughout South India and the most recognisable throughout India.
- Black Gram Dal / Urad Dal / Uzhunnu : 1 cup
- Rice Flour : 1 tbsp(optional)
- Chopped Onions : 1/2 cup
- Chopped Ginger : 1 inch piece
- Chopped Green Chillies : 3-4 nos
- Black Pepper powder : 1 tsp (crushed)
- Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
- Baking Soda : 1 pinch(optional)
- Salt : to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Clean and soak the Urad dal for up to 3-4 hours.
- Drain it completely.
- Grind it to a smooth paste without adding water. If its hard to grind, sprinkle little water and grind to a coarse paste..it shouldn’t too thick nor thin.
- Transfer it to a large bowl..add salt and baking powder and mix well..cover and let it ferment overnight.Fermentation will rise the batter and give fuffy soft vadas.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chillies, pepper powder, curry leaves, to the dal batter in the bowl just before vada preparation
- Add 1 tbsp of rice powder to this (to make the uzhunnu vada crispy) and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed Kadai and keep it in low flame.
- Keep a cup of water near you and wet your hand with this. This will prevent sticking of the batter to your hands.
- Now make round shaped ball with the thick batter and press it using the palm of your hand. With your finger make a hole in the center.Shaping vadas requires practice.
- Now drop it slowly and carefully to the hot oil.
- Fry them till they become golden color, by flipping in between.
- Drain into kitchen tissues.
- Continue the procedure with the rest of the batter.
- Serve hot with Sambar / Chutney.
Thanks And Regards