Murukku is a savoury, crunchy Indian snack. Murukku is typically made from rice flour and urad dal flour.
- Rice powder – 1 Cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (കായം ) – 1/4 tsp
- Sesame seeds (എള്ള് ) – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 3/4 Cup
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 3 cup
- Urad dal powder (black gram) – 1/4 cup (roasted)
- Take a bowl and mix rice powder, salt, red chilli powder, urad dal powder, asafoetida and sesame seeds and mix well. Add water little by little and make dough. Consistency should be that of chappathi dough
- Fill the dough in the idiyappam maker using the star shaped one .
- Turn the top handle of the idiyappam maker and make a murukku pattern starting from the inner circle.
- If the dough doesn’t give perfect shape and is found to be breaking,add little bit water and make the dough to the consistency required.
- Shape them in circular pattern and make some 5-6 murukku shapes with the dough in a plate ahead of frying the murukku (if one is not experienced in directly making circular shapes in oil)
- Heat coconut oil in a pan
- pour the dough through idiyappam maker into the oil on a medium heat until light golden colour.(try this only if you are fully experienced in making perfect shapes while directly pouring dough into oil else make shape the murukku in a plate and slowly put them in oil and deep fry..
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Crunchy rice murukku is ready.
- Store in an airtight container.
Thanks And Regards