Watermelon Nutrition and Health Benefits
Even though watermelons are low in most vitamins and minerals, they are a good source of vitamin C and beta-carotene (which your body synthesizes into vitamin A). Watermelons with red flesh have more lycopene than tomatoes which is a nutrient believed to protect against prostate cancer.
Watermelons contain two interesting nutrients which are found especially abundantly in the edible rind, citrulline and arginine. Citrulline has been shown to boost heart health, the immune system and help with weight loss and type 2 diabetes. Arginine boosts nitric oxide in the body which helps relax blood vessels. Arginine also removes toxins from the body.
- 1½ cups Watermelon ( remove seeds)
- 1 banana
- 1 apple, peeled and finely chopped
- ¾ cup fat free Yogurt
- 12 ice cubes
- Make puree of watermelon in blender or food processor/mixer.
- Strain with a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Add strained watermelon juice back into the blender.
- Add the other ingredients. Blend well.
- If sweetness required add in sugar .