To make fruit salad normally you can use any fruits but make sure you use fruits like bananas, apples, citrus fruits like orange or musambi, pomegranate or grapes as base. You can also add chikoo, pine apple(not the raw ones) if you like. Do avoid fruits like water melon, musk melon , pear etc i n the fruit custard as the taste and texture of these fruits does not suit for fruit custard.
Fruit Salad with Custard Recipe:
For Custard preparation:
- 1/2 liter whole cream milk
- 3 tbsp custard powder ( vanilla flavor)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 ripen Mango
- 1 Orange or Sweet lime(both also)
- 2 large or 3 medium Bananas
- 2 Apples
- 1 Pomegranate or 1/2 cup seedless Grapes or both
- 1/4 tsp Lemon juice, optional(to avoid the discoloration of fruits)
- 10 Cashew nuts, finely chopped
- 10 Almonds, thinly chopped
garnish with :
- 2 tbsp. chopped cashew nuts or almonds
- Reserve 1/4 cup of milk and bring the remaining portion of milk to boil.
- Mix custard powder with 1/4 cup of milk and add this to the boiling milk stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps . The custard will start to coat on the back side of the spoon and will have a honey like flowing texture means the custard is cooked. Add the sugar and mix it nicely until it melts. . Cool the custard completely and refrigerate it until its usage. Custard would become fairly thick once it cools down, but once you mix the fruits it will become slightly runny as it sits.If it is very thick just add in milk to loosen it.
- Cut the fruits starting with the citrus varieties like orange or sweet lime and pomegranate or grapes and then add lemon juice(if adding) to it and mix. Now proceed with cutting other fruits like mangoes, apples by peeling the skin and remove the seed and cut into medium size cubes.
- Finally cut the bananas into half circles and add to the remaining fruits and mix nicely.(cutting banana and apples at the final stage will prevent discoloration of the fruits)
Add the fruits and chopped nuts to the cooled custard and give a good stir. Refrigerate it for 2 hrs.